December 6, 2016
Dear SHGAPE Members,
For the Society for Historians of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, 2016 has been another good year. I want to share with you some of the important developments.
- New Officers and Council Members: Kristin L. Hoganson (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), who is currently SHGAPE vice president and president-elect, will succeed me as our new president in 2017. You may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to her leadership. SHGAPE executive secretary Amy Louise Wood recently announced the results of the 2016 elections. Our new officers and council members are: Albert S. Broussard (Texas A&M University) as vice president/president-elect; Stacy A. Cordery (Iowa State University) re-elected as treasurer; and Alan Lessoff (Illinois State University), Mary Lui (Yale University), and Martin Summers (Boston College) as Council members. Welcome to these new leaders!
- Website: Thanks to webmaster Christopher McKnight Nichols (Oregon State University) and others working with him, SHGAPE’s website has been substantially revised and improved. It provides important information and news about SHGAPE and its various activities. It describes the awards and prizes that are given by SHGAPE. It will soon be featuring recently-published books by SHGAPE members more prominently, via a slide show of book covers at the top of the page. Authors should send news of their books to Chris at email@example.com for inclusion. The website also gives a link to Cambridge University Press that anyone can use to join or renew membership in our society. Go to our new website at www.shgape.org to see how you can benefit.
- SHGAPE Membership Renewal: Cambridge University Press will send out notices for membership renewal in January 2017. Because they are shifting to a new way to handle the renewal process, the notices will be delayed until the beginning of 2017 instead of being sent in December as before. Watch for the renewal notice or go online at www.shgape.org in January to renew your membership for 2017.
- Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era: Co-editors Benjamin H. Johnson (Loyola University Chicago) and Robert D. Johnston (University of Illinois at Chicago) have continued to offer outstanding editorial leadership of our society’s journal. Because they are approaching the end of their term and have decided not to continue, we are currently searching for a new editor or co-editors to succeed them in 2018. Contact SHGAPE executive secretary Amy Louise Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- American Historical Association Annual Meeting, January 5-8, 2017: The SHGAPE program committee, led by vice president and president-elect Kristin L. Hoganson, selected five panels that SHGAPE will sponsor at the AHA in Denver, January 5-8, 2017. Check the AHA program for details.
- Organization of American Historians Annual Meeting, April 6-9, 2017: The SHGAPE program committee also selected twelve panels that SHGAPE will sponsor or endorse at the OAH in New Orleans, April 6-9, 2017. Check the OAH program for details. As past president, I will deliver my presidential address on “World War I and the Paradox of Wilsonianism” at the SHGAPE luncheon on Friday, April 7. Graduate students may purchase luncheon tickets at a reduced price. They should contact executive secretary Amy Louise Wood at email@example.com for more information. The SHGAPE Council will meet that same day. Plan to attend the SHGAPE reception that evening as well.
- AHA and OAH Annual Meetings in 2018: The deadlines for submitting proposals for panels for the 2018 OAH and AHA annual meetings are January 16, 2017, for the OAH and February 15, 2017, for the AHA. You should submit your proposals to the OAH and AHA program committees by their deadlines as well as to the SHGAPE program committee. Send them to our society’s new vice president and president-elect Albert S. Broussard at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will be the new chair of the program committee in 2017. Eligibility for SHGAPE travel support to present at the OAH is contingent on SHGAPE sponsorship and membership.
- New Book Prize: At its 2015 annual meeting in St. Louis, the SHGAPE Council approved the creation of a new book prize to be awarded every two years for an author’s second or subsequent book. The society’s Vincent P. DeSantis Book Prize is given every two years for an author’s first book. The Council authorized the development committee to begin fund-raising. Under the leadership of former SHGAPE president Charles W. Calhoun, the development committee has already secured financial commitments of several thousand dollars to endow the new award, tentatively named the Presidents’ Book Prize. He contacted former and current presidents to ask them to provide these lead gifts, which they will pay to SHGAPE by December 31, 2017. At its meeting at the OAH in New Orleans, the Council will finalize the plans for this new book prize. We look forward to tax-deductible donations from other SHGAPE members to the endowment so that its income can sustain an award of $500 for the book prize every two years. If you will contribute any amount by December 31, 2017, please inform Chuck at CALHOUNC@ecu.edu. If you can contribute now, please send your check, payable to the Society for Historians of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, to our treasurer: Stacy A. Cordery, Department of History, Iowa State University, 637 Ross Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1054. She will acknowledge your gift for tax purposes. You may contact her at email@example.com.
I’ll look forward to meeting you or seeing you again at the OAH in New Orleans! If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lloyd E. Ambrosius
Emeritus Professor of History and Samuel Clark Waugh
Distinguished Professor of International Relations
Department of History
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68588-0327